Intermediate Thermodynamics Scores  
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Assignment 0 has been corrected. I gave “A+” if you enabled email notifications to the Intermediate Thermodynamics forum, “B+” if you registered on my website, and “-” otherwise.
Quiz #1 has been corrected. I took away half a grade if you didn't draw a schematic showing the time period and the impact of the particule on the wall. I took away another half grade if you wrote your quiz in a messy way.
Quiz #2 has been corrected. Those who were given A+ or A0 got it right or were almost there. The others, please work on this problem more on your own.
Quiz #3 has been corrected. I took away a half grade if you didn't indicate clearly your control volumes (drawing of the tank(s) and a dotted line to show where the volume is). I took away another half grade for not indicating clearly your answers using a box and a letter A to the right.
Quiz #4 has been corrected. I gave B+ if you only did one part, A0 if you did one part and did something substantial in the other.
Quiz #5 has been corrected. The most important thing to do for this quiz was to explain how to obtain the final temperature. This has to be proven clearly from the energy conservation in integral form. If you did use the integral form of the energy equation but skipped some important step (such as doing the integral properly), you were given A0. You can not use the first law for a closed system applied to the entire volume because the pressure is not uniform. You can not use the first law for a closed system for each gas because there is mass transfer between them. If you did use the first law for a closed system, you were hence given B+ at the most. You can not simply state that there is no heat transfer between the different gases and therefore the final temperature is the same as the initial temperature. This is not true generally. If you stated something to this effect, you were given B0.
Quiz #6 has been corrected. A half grade was taken away for each logical flaw in your reasoning. I didn't take away points as long as your logical steps are correct and even if you didn't obtain the right answer.
Quiz #7 has been corrected. I took away a half grade if you didn't calculate the perfect gas change in energy. I took away a half grade if you didn't iterate (as you should) to find the specific volumes (you cannot neglect some terms saying they are necessarily small without proof).
Quiz #8 has been corrected. I took away a half grade if you didn't iterate to find $T_{\rm dry 4}$. Note that there are 2 iteration processes here: one to find $T_{\rm dry 3}$ and another one to find $T_{\rm dry 4}$.
I finished correcting the final exam: you did well overall.
PDF 1✕1 2✕1 2✕2
$\pi$