Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics Questions and Answers  
Question by AME536A Student
For problem $\#3$. Are we missing the lengths from $h_a, L_w$, I was trying to calculate them using trig functions but I am missing dimensions.
Fluids Hmwk.pdf    
No, this would over specify the problem. Also, when showing drawings/figures on this thread, use a png or jpg format and include them within your text so that they are easier to read.
For homework 2 question 3, does the mass sit at the end of the plate? If not, what is the length of the plate?
The mass sits at a distance $L$ from the hinge as indicated on the figure. The plate end is located a bit farther away. You can indicate it with another symbol, $L_2$, if you wish.
Continuation from the previous question ("For homework 2 question 3, does the mass sit at the end of the plate? If not, what is the length of the plate?"): Is the difference between the length of the plate (L), and the distance of the mass from the hinge ($L_{2}$) negligible?
In solving problems in this course, you'll need to make assumptions here and there. List the assumptions made along with your answer and if one is wrong or superfluous I will let you know.
Hello Dr. Parent. For Homework #3, Problem #1, is y=0 defined as the centerline of the duct (blue line in attachment) or is y=0 defined as the bottom edge of the duct (red line in attachment)? The location of the axes in the problem located on the bottom edge combined with the shape of the $\overrightarrow{v_1}$ equation strongly implies y=0 is defined as the bottom edge, but I want to confirm before finishing working through the problem. Thank you!
I can't see any attachment. Also, you should include your figures inline within the text using the inline button, and preview.
Pardon the submission issue, this is my first time asking a question here. I realized my question also incorrectly referenced Homework #3, Question #1. I meant Homework #3, Question #2 (the first question we are asked to solve). Here is the figure I mistakenly didn't include the first time:
Homework #3, Problem #2 Question - Centerline.png  ./download/file.php?id=7075&sid=2041557452c7859f9210fc238d05c220  ./download/file.php?id=7075&t=1&sid=2041557452c7859f9210fc238d05c220
Yes, $y=0$ refers to the bottom of the duct, not the centerline.
Previous   1  ...  4 ,  5 ,  6   •  PDF 1✕1 2✕1 2✕2  •  New Question
$\pi$