Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics Questions and Answers  
Question by AME536A Student
Follow up question to the one asked on 10/10 about problem 2. I solved the momentum equation in the longitudinal and transverse directions of the plate, and have the mass conservation equation. This yields me with 3 equations and 4 unknowns ($\dot{m}_1$, $\dot{m}_2$, $\dot{m}_3$, and F). I have not been able to find a suitable equation in the tables to sole for my fourth unknown. Is there a 4th equation that I am missing, or is it intended that we make an assumption about the cross sectional area of the input flow for $\dot{m}_1$ to solve this problem?
You don't need to specify the cross-sectional area of the incoming flow or the mass flow rate of the incoming flow to solve this problem.
Is there a fourth equation that is relevant to this problem (excluding Bernoulli's)?
If we have seen it in class so far, and is listed in the tables it is possibly applicable. What equations have we seen? Which ones could you use? List them and think about why or why not some equations can be used here.
For the problem #3 in the assignment 5, I am not approaching the correct answer using Bernoulli's equation. I was wondering if this problem is considered steady-state and the fluid properties at the the cross-section 1,2 are uniform.
Yes this is a steady state problem and you can assume uniform flow unless there is a more accurate way you could find the answer given the equations in the tables.
The due date of the assignment 5 indicated in D2L website is Oct.22, which is different from that indicated in the material from your website. When is the due date of the assignment 5?
It's due this thursday, the 15th.
Does solution 2b from the 2019 Midterm right? The solution is given on variables that are not defined in the problem statement ($e$ and $\phi$). Or if it is right, would you please explain where the $\phi$ and $e$ variables come from?
Will do.
I have a question about the problem #4 in the assignment 5. My answer is approaching the correct one, but there is still error. Should the force be represented in the resultant force of all in the x,y,z direction or just horizontal force?
I'm not sure I understand. Because the snow velocity with respect to the truck changes in all dimensions, then the force on the snow plow will have components in all 3 dimensions.
Previous   1  ...  8 ,  9 ,  10    Next  •  PDF 1✕1 2✕1 2✕2  •  New Question
$\pi$